Creating a configurable product
We will use a Use Case to portray how to create a configurable product.
Use case: Let’s assume we want to build a sunglasses configurator so our customer will be able to choose his lenses, left and right arms and frame among many others.
A configuration is a set of parameters used to create a configurable product. In order to create our configurable sunglasses product, we need to create a configuration first which will contain the different components and their options, and then assign that configuration to an existing product to
turn it into a configurable product.
Our sunglasses configuration can be summarized like this:
• Green moonshine
- To create a new configuration, click on Product Builder > New configuration.
- Enter your configuration title.
- In the configuration settings box, we need to create our components as listed earlier:
- Name: component name
- Icon: component icon
- Single: only a single option can be selected for the component.
- Multiple: Multiple options can be selected for the component.
- Click on the “Manage options” button to manage your component options:
- Group: groups are the best way to group your component options per category. Leave empty to ignore this setting.
- Name: option name
- Description: option description
- Icon: option icon
- Image: option image that will be displayed on the preview area when this option is selected.
- Price: option price which will be added to the product price if set. Leave this field empty to ignore this setting.
- Product: shop product to link this option to. When enabled, the product price will be used instead of the option’s when determining the configuration price. Please note that if this option is set and the configurable product added to the cart, the related product will be added to the cart too.
- Default: allows you to set which option in the component will be selected by default.
- Once you’re done, click on the Publish button to save your configuration.
- Now let’s create a new product or edit an existing one to assign our configuration to it.
If it’s a simple product, the configurations list will show up under the General tab.
But if it’s a variable one, the configurations list will be displayed in the variation settings.
Select the configuration you want to assign to your product and click on publish when you’re done to save the changes. Congratulations, you just made a configurable product.
A “build-your-own” button will now appear on the product page and will lead to the configuration page when clicked.